Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Do I dare
Disturb the universe?
In a minute there is time
For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.

For I have known them all already, known them all:—
Have known the evenings, mornings, afternoons,
I have measured out my life with coffee spoons;
I know the voices dying with a dying fall
Beneath the music from a farther room.
So how should I presume?


From "The love song of J Alfred Prufrock" by T.S. Eliot.

I was looking through some photos when I saw this one . When I took it, I was thinking of these lines. The part about the coffee spoons has always struck me as very poignant and very true. So much of life is "small". It slips by almost without us noticing it. I spend so much time looking forward to my days off. It's not that I don't enjoy my job, I do, but I'd rather not be at work. When I think about it, I'm wasting 3.5 days of my life EVERY WEEK just wanting them to be over. And when the days off come along, I spend most of them in coffee spoon moments doing routine chores!

This year has been a series of challenges as I've tried to make changes in my life and my attitude to it. I keep forgetting to live in the moment! I have a great job, and wonderful colleagues. A lot of my best moments have been at work. I need to remember that more.

I feel like I've been driving all day. Kate missed her bus this morning so I had to drive her to work, then double back on myself to get Sian to her orthodontist appointment. Then back into Frodsham to return her to school. Home for a little while, then I picked up Shirley and we went to RDA. Back to Helsby, dropped off Shirley, home to collect supposedly (according to Kate!) overweight Basil for his annual boosters and health check.

Well, it's official, Basil is NOT overweight BUT the vet does not want him to gain any more weight. i'm not sure exactly how I'm meant to ensure that doesn't happen!!

I am missing Phil a lot. I had a nightmare last night and it was horrible being alone when I woke up. Not that Phil is sympathetic (!!!) but at least he is there! Except when he isn't...

3 comments:

Kerri Farley said...

WOW! Both of these are fabulous shots! I am smitten with BASIL. He is gorgeous!

I have really been trying over the past year to live every moment to its fullest! Sometimes that is VERY VERY hard to do!

Sorry about the nightmare :(

Dianne said...

Oh that photo of Basil is amazing! Siren is also not overweight but needs to stay where he is. I exercise with him as often as I can. I try for an hour a day. I throw his favorite mice up and down the hall - he charges after them, he loves the game. Very often he'll be so worked up that he'll keep running around even after I stop throwing.

Your photo and the verse are wonderful together.

Living in the moment requires vigilance but it does get easier.

mrsnesbitt said...

I know what you mean about driving all day!
We are cutting down.....trying to.