Monday, November 03, 2008

The Keswick launch..

Many of the roads in the Lake District are extremely narrow and you frequently have to reverse into "passing places" to enable other vehicles to pass you - or vice versa. I was struck this week by the different way people behave at these times. Some pass by stony faced, eyes straight ahead, not acknowledging your existance. Others look stern but raise a courteous hand. Some look positively annoyed and angry as they squeeze past, glaring or frowning. And some people give you a smile, a wave, a mouthed "thank you!"

One car had to reverse quite some distance down a narrow twisty lane in order for us to pass; we felt really sorry for him. As we drew level we looked towards him to be met with big beaming smiles and friendly waves from both him and his lady companion. We all smiled and waved back and drove on, feeling cheered by the exchange.

These passing places are like life; some of the folk you meet in a tight spot leave you feeling upset, somehow guilty, awkward and uncomfortable. Some evoke a flare of anger in response to their aggresive and unhelpful attitude. And some, like that last driver, brighten your day and make you feel warmth and affection for your fellow man. How sweet it is to exchange smiles and waves with a total stranger!

8 comments:

Akelamalu said...

Oh if only all motorists could be so courteous as the one you encountered, wouldn't the world be a much better place? :)

artisbliss said...

The world will always have rude people in it, unfortunately. Better to be part of the solution than part of the problem.

photowannabe said...

Oh that's so very true. Your comments sort of go along with my post today about a little rain sometimes falling in our lives and our choices about how to handle it.
Nice post and a smile sure helps doesn't it?

Unknown said...

This is so true. I love the little acknowledgments from strangers throughout the day. Just a meeting of the eyes and a nod make a difference but a smile and a "hi" can change your whole day.

The Quiet Rage said...

No middle fingers involved. That's a plus;)

Dianne said...

when I first moved from NYC to the burbs I was uncomfortable with road civility.

One day when we had only been here a few days I was waiting to get out of a parking lot onto a large busy road. A car stopped and waved me on. I stared at her LOL
She waved me on again. It took me a moment to realize she was letting me into traffic!!

We ended up side by side at a red light and I waved and told her I was sorry to be so dense. She laughed and said it was OK, she was a former NYer too LOL
(I still had my NY plates on the car)

picperfic said...

sorry I haven't been commenting...only just got broadband sorted! Anyway, I am loving your photos as usual and wondered if you might like to go and read my latest blogpost?

Kerri Farley said...

Well said CG. The world would be a better place if we all acted like that last driver!!