Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Windermere dawn

Phil is away in London overnight and I'm missing him! However I think my Christmas bracelet has arrived and is awaiting collection at the post office!!

The post brought a deposit cheque and a confirmation letter from the couple I spoke to last week about the wedding in March. They've booked without even meeting us!

Last night was competition night at the photographic society. They judge the prints (colour and mono) first, then after the tea break it's digital images and slides. As soon as the judge started I got nervous. He was not the most consistent judge I've come across and some of his comments were very critical! However, he liked Phil's picture of Chicago at night and he got first prize in the Advanced Colour Print section.

When he judged my (entry level) section, he seemed to be in a grumpier mood. Maybe no-one sugared his tea? I was quite shocked by some of his dismissive comments. My first two photos got off fairly lightly but were obviously not going to place. I was cringing by the end as my last photo was one I didn't have any confidence in. I was imagining his criticisms before they came.

To my astonishment he made one or two nice comments and then gave me 20 points and the winning position. I was gobsmacked. I do think he could have been more encouraging in his comments to others though. I know how easily you can be put off by an ill-judged remark or non-constructive criticism.

My winning photo is above; taken on the shores of Windermere a few years ago - before my DSLR days! i've always liked it and am glad it wasn't mauled by Mr Nasty!

9 comments:

mrsnesbitt said...

Ah Windermere! We often pop over when the days are warm......memories eh? LOL!

Akelamalu said...

Oh well done, it is a beautiful photo m'deario! Oh and congrats on the wedding booking too. :)

cheshire wife said...

It is a wonderful photo! I think that you deserved to win. Well done.

Scriptor Senex said...

Well done.

Isn't it a shame that the art of positive criticism is so neglected nowadays. Some people seem to think being a 'Judge' gives them the freedom to be downright rude. One thing I learned as a manager was how much easier it is to give the occasionally necessary negative criticism if you spend most of your time giving positive criticism. Not only do people take the negative on board so much better - because it's unusual - but the positive criticism helps to create an atmosphere of a positive attitude all round.

That is one thing I have noticed about the blogging community. Even sites where the comments are not moderated rarely have negative criticism. People seem to go out of their way to be constructive in their comments - would that all life were so.

(And well done to Phil as well.)

Dianne said...

congrats!!

and how wonderful about the booking!!

photowannabe said...

Such a lovely photo and the colors are beautiful. Congratulations to both you and Phillip. You both deserve it.

picperfic said...

a stunning photo, congratulations on the win! Stroppy judges leave me cold, I stopped going to our camera club because of them!

The Quiet Rage said...

Winning photograph indeed....

Bev said...

I am not surprised that you won with that photo, it is stunning and something that i would have on my wall, congratualtions