Thursday, February 12, 2009

It took me four hours to drive to work today due to the motorway being closed because of ice. The journey normally takes 40 minutes. The majority of those four hours were spent in the stretch of motorway between Ellesmere Port and Overpool. After crawling along in first gear for over 3 hours and lots of clutch use, my bad ankle is swollen and aching.

Work is utterly depressing too with lots of questions from the public about when the 11 libraries are closing, what will happen to the book stock, what will happen to the staff/the furniture/the buildings/the computers etc etc. I have to keep saying I don't know because I don't! I have NO IDEA what will happen on 31st March!

On a lighter note, was in the card shop today looking at Valentines Day cards. So was another lady; we looked at cards, replaced them, read verses, considered pictures...in came two young lads - straight up to the display, grabbed a card each "Sorted"! exclaimed one guy with satisfaction. "You can't just grab the first card you see!" said the browsing lady with horror! "Oh yes we can!" he replied. Off they went, leaving me and t'other lady reflecting on the differences between middleaged women and young men!!

2 comments:

photowannabe said...

Hmmmm, I hope those cards said the right things. Too funny.
4 hours Yikes that's awful. Hope your ankle recovers quickly.
Job uncertainty is unsettling. I know from experience. Keep on just keeping on!! (:0)

Akelamalu said...

It's so unsettling when you don't know what's happening at work. Hopefully it won't be too traumatic for you.

I spend ages choosing cards so those boys would have wound me up no end!