Saturday, August 15, 2009

(this image is from http://www.hoppingdowninkent.org.uk/intro4.php)

The wanderer returns...

We got back late last night from our holiday in Kent. We decided to travel back Friday night as Phil & Kate have Everton's first match of the season to attend and it was a good decision because we now have the whole weekend to recover from our holiday! We had a great time although I think the girls are starting to get to that age when holidays with mum and dad are a bit boring!

Our holiday home was bright, modern, and very comfortable and well equipped with beautiful views from the back over the countryside which included a converted oast house (see above!). The only drawback was it was on a main road so was quite noisy at night. It was really well located for exploring the area though.

Quite a few people expressed surprise that we were going to Kent but there was loads to do and the weather was mainly warm and sunny! We went to various old houses and castles - Hever Castle (with jousting!) was a highlight for me as was Chartwell, home of Sir Winston Churchill. We had two days in London and saw the aftermath of one of the biggest ever jewel robberies in the UK! We even ventured to the Bluewater Mall which wasn't nearly as horrible as the Trafford Centre. There were beautiful villages to explore and of course oast houses EVERYWHERE!

I haven't time to download my photos yet but when I do I'll of course be posting some on here and on Flickr. I have been reading up on everyone's blogs and will comment when i'm more "sorted". It's been a great holiday but also nice to come home and be reunited with the pussies.

How did I manage TWO WEEKS without ANY internet access? It was strange but curiously liberating. I realise just how much time I spend online!

5 comments:

photowannabe said...

Welcome back Julie. You were definitely missed. Your holiday sounds delightful and I look forward to seeing the pictures of it.
No computer can be liberating. After my 2 weeks away from it I find it difficult to get back into the swing of it.

Dianne said...

welcome home!
sounds like a good vacation

Kerri Farley said...

So glad you are back! I've missed you! Can't wait to see your pics!

Mabe said...

Sounds like you had a great holiday. Kent's somewhere I've never been to but it does sound very interesting and I don't think you can beat the UK as long as you get the weather. Glad you had a good time and it's great to have you back. :)

Scriptor Senex said...

Not much of a welcome home at Goodison! Hope they aren't too down.