Thursday, November 27, 2008

Luck x 3?

Well, today we heard more news on the library closures - the latest thing is that those of us in libraries which are not likely to close will also "lose" our jobs - all staff remaining who do not take either voluntary redundancy or early retirement will have to apply for the posts at the libraries which are staying open.

I can clearly see how this is the fairest way to deal with the situation. On a personal level i'm finding it very hard to think of my team at West Kirby being broken up and scattered and the very real possibility that I'll have to leave the library I've worked so hard in for 16 years. At least we no longer have to feel "survivor guilt" as we're in a similar boat to our colleagues whose libraries are closing altogether!

The hardest thing today has been members of the public coming in and saying "well, you lot here are all ok then!" and then having to explain that no, we probably AREN'T ok!

I'm trying to keep it in mind that our situation could be a lot worse; we have at least a fighting chance of emerging with some job, albeit at a lower grade, with different hours and in a different place . But I was happy the way things were!

What a difference a year makes! Last Christmas thoughts of the financial crisis, recession, house repossession and redundancy were far away. We didn't know how lucky we were - isn't that often the way??

6 comments:

photowannabe said...

Yes that's so true. Hindsight is always 20/20.
I hope you do get a good job after so many years at one place.
It seems there are hard times everywhere.

Yolanda said...

It is so sad to me when libraries close.

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

So true, we never know what the next minute will bring.

I loved the Public Library in Eltham London and visited it regularly in the two years I was there, I read a lot during those few years and watched lots of videos too.

I am sorry about the reshuffle too, this couldnt have come at a worse time I know, but try to put it out of your mind and enjoy the holidays with family, there will be plenty of time to face the other stuff later.
(((Hugs))))

Lori

Akelamalu said...

I have been through so many reorganisations (in Local Government) where I've had to apply for my own job. It's a very worrying time but not as worrying as losing your job altogether. I hope it all goes well for you m'dear. xx

Kerri Farley said...

Oh, I am sorry that you are having to deal with these issues! And it is terrible that it comes at the holidays. I am sending postive thoughts your way!!

The Quiet Rage said...

I think we're all in for a wild ride for 2009. Hold on and pray for the best.