Tuesday, November 25, 2008


Sparkle heels...

Some things, like chocolate and shoes, always make me feel better.

Well, today there is good news and bad news. The good news is the computer is ok. Apparently I must have kicked it (not intentionally!!) and knocked the fan off its mounting; so it overheated and shut itself off. Phil has restored it and the edits are ok.

The bad news came from our urgent library meeting this morning. I'm a pessimist who always expects the worst but this was worse than I had expected. Twelve libraries are to be shut. That's half. I'm in shock.

West Kirby (my branch) is one of five "key libraries" set to stay open and possibly get done up a bit. Seven other libraries will remain as part of multi-function buildings. But 12 are to go - 12 libraries which are the pride and joy of their staff and cherished by their communities. Our own satellite library at Hoylake is to go.

Today at the meeting i saw people I'd worked with for years break down and cry. Not so much for the loss of their own jobs but for the loss of a place they'd devoted (in many cases) years to.

There is the hope that as we are carrying many vacancies and have many staff who may be willing to consider early retirement or voluntary redundancy actual job losses will be minimal. I know that across the world many people are losing their jobs and often in more brutal and shocking ways. But when you see the reality of it in the faces of your colleagues it all becomes very personal and very real.

Thanks to everyone for their kind comments. They are so much appreciated!

6 comments:

Akelamalu said...

It is a terrible blow when something like this happens. I am pleased for you obviously but I can understand how you feel about your friends and colleagues.

On a lighter note - are those your shoes? They're beautiful!

Dianne said...

as much as this news is so rough you sound so much stronger than you did last post

and stop kicking the computer :)

photowannabe said...

The anguish of job loss is worldwide it seems. Libraries seem to be some of the first things to go. Its so sad. For you I'm glad that yours will remain.
Good you have a Hubby that can fix your computer and its up and running again.
Love those fancy high heeled shoes. Great shot.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad your computer is ok and your wedding photos are safe!

The closing of libraries is indeed shocking. I just never dreamed that libraries would go, even with other closures. Its scary.. and tragic. When we can't afford other entertainment we can at least visit libraries.

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Hi dear friend CJ,
As always you have a lot to tell your emotions, and your are showing great photo's to illustrate yourself, I took a little while some blog-breaks,(for vacation and also to archiev my photo's and filming) but now-and-than I want to let you know (by visiting you) that you and your blog are very dear to me, even when I do not visit you every week.

dear greetings JoAnn/Holland
wwww.joannwalraven.blogspot.com

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

I am really glad you recovered the edits, that must have been a relief.

I am so sorry about the closing of the libraries and feel your pain. This economy thing is just a nightmare. (((((Huge Hugs)))))